Social media app advertising has taken the front row in online advertising for few years now. And, that can be blamed on obtainable demographic information or raw data of social network platform users; as I like to call it.
It won’t be out of place to keep abreast of what each of the major social media apps is up to in terms of statistics (users and demography), so you can fortify your online advertising strategy for 2018 accordingly.
For short, you are about to find new perspective to online advertising with regards to knowing why you should step up advertising in social media apps in 2018 marketing race.
You will also be able to identify which social media network you should latch on to immediately after reading this piece.
What is social media app advertising?
Social network advertising, also social media targeting, is a group of terms that are used to describe forms of online advertising that focus on social networking services. One of the major benefits of this type of advertising is that advertisers can take advantage of the users’ demographic information and target their ads appropriately. –Wikipedia
What are types of social media app ads?
Social media apps ads vary in objectives and formats, depending on the chosen platform per time. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn mostly have similar types of ads, with regards to objectives and formats.
For instance, some Facebook ad formats include:
- Video format
- Image format
- Collection format
- Canvas format
- Carousel format
- Slideshow format
While some Facebook ad types (objectives) include:
- Lead generation ads
- Offer ads
- Post Engagement ads
- Event responses ads
- Page likes ads
Now, straight to the 100 amazing social media app statistics to guide your digital campaign in 2018.
Facebook is an American for-profit corporation and an online social media and social networking service based in Menlo Park, California.
Social media app statistics: Facebook
- Facebook has 1.71 billion monthly active users and 1.13 billion daily active users, on average.
- Facebook boasts 1.57 billion mobile monthly active users and 1.03 million mobile daily active users, on average.
- Facebook Lite, an app designed for the developing world’s slower internet connections, has 100 million monthly active users.
- The average Facebook user has 155 friends.
- Women have more Facebook friends on average than men.
- 39 percent of Facebook users have self-reported as being married, while another 39 percent have self-reported as being single.
- 85 percent of Facebook’s daily active users are outside of the U.S and Canada; India, Brazil, and Indonesia have the largest audiences on Facebook behind the U.S.
- Facebook accounts for one in every six minutes spent online and one in every five minutes spent on mobile.
- People spend more than 20 minutes a day on Facebook.
- Facebook Users generate over 4 million likes per minute.
Twitter is an online news and social networking service where users post and interact with messages, called “tweets”.
Social media app statistics: Twitter
- Twitter has total of 328 million monthly active users.
- Twitter has 100 million daily active users.
- 80% of Twitter users are on Mobile devices.
- 500 million tweets are sent per day on Twitter.
- 24% of all Internet male users use Twitter, whereas 21% of all Internet female users use Twitter.
- 79% of Twitter accounts are based outside the United States. There are over 67 million Twitter users in US.
- 37% of Twitter users are between ages of 18 and 29, 25% users are 30-49 years old.
- 54% of Twitter users earn more than $50,000 a year at least.
- The top three countries by user count outside the U.S. are Brazil (27.7 million users),
- Japan (25.9 million), and Mexico (23.5 million).
Instagram is a mobile, desktop, and Internet-based photo-sharing application and service that allows users to share pictures and videos either publicly, or privately to pre-approved followers.
Social media app statistics: Instagram
- Instagram has over 600 million users, 400 million of which are active daily.
- Most Instagram users are between 18-29 years old.
- There are 16,600,000 Google searches for “instagram” per month.
- 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily, and 35% say they look at the platform several times per day.
- 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram per day.
- There are 15 million registered businesses using Instagram business profiles, while 1 million are monthly active advertisers.
- 50% of Instagram users follow at least one business. 60% of say that they have learned about a product or service on the platform.
- 100 million users use the “stories” feature daily.
- Instagram posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement than those without.
- 32% of Instagram users attended college.
LinkedIn is a business- and employment-oriented social networking service that operates via websites and mobile apps.
Social media app statistics: LinkedIn
- LinkedIn has total of 467 million users, gets 2 new members per second.
- LinkedIn has total of 106 million monthly active users.
- The total number of LinkedIn Groups stands at 1.5 Million.
- There are 57% of male users and 44% female users on LinkedIn.
- LinkedIn profiles with professional head-shots get 14 times more profile views.
- 80% of B2B leads come from LinkedIn.
- 40 million students and recent college graduates are on LinkedIn.
- 28% of all Internet male users use LinkedIn, whereas 27% of all Internet female users use LinkedIn.
- An average user spends 17 minutes monthly on LinkedIn. While 53 % of LinkedIn users only spend zero to two hours on the site per week.
- 71% of professionals feel that LinkedIn is a credible source for professional content.
Pinterest is a web and mobile application company that operates a software system designed to discover information on the World Wide Web, mainly using images and on a shorter scale, GIFs and videos.
Social media app statistics: Pinterest
- Pinterest has over 150 million monthly active users, 81% of which are female.
- 67% of Pinterest users are under 40 years old.
- Millennials (36%) make up the largest age group of Pinterest users, followed by Gen-X (34%).
- Pinterest users spend an average of 14.2 minutes per session on the platform.
- 80% of users access Pinterest on their mobile app.
- Over 50 billion pins have been made on Pinterest, with more than 1 billion boards.
- Pins in the fashion category are most popular on Thursday, while Saturday is the most popular day for travel pins.
- Recipes make up more than 1.7 billion pins.
- 72 percent of millennials use the visual pinboard to connect with the brands they love
- 83% of Pinterest users would rather follow a brand than a celebrity
WeChat is a Chinese multi-purpose social media mobile application software developed by Tencent.
Social media app statistics: WeChat
- WeChat has 1.1billion registered accounts
- WeChat has 963 million monthly active users, with 768 million active daily.
- There are 12 million corporate WeChat accounts.
- 65% of WeChat users are born in the 80’s or 90’s.
- 639 million WeChat users access the platform from smartphone.
- WeChat has 70 million users outside of China.
- A WeChat business account must have 100,000 followers before it can advertise.
- Chinese adults spend over 40 minutes on WeChat daily on the average.
- 83% of WeChat users purchase products online.
- 68.6% of Internet users in China, between 16-65, use WeChat.
Snapchat is an image messaging and multimedia mobile application created by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown, former students at Stanford University, and developed by Snap Inc., originally Snapchat Inc.
Social media app statistics: Snapchat
- Snapchat has 173 million users worldwide, with 3 billion Snapchats sent daily.
- Snapchat has around 350 Million monthly active users, with 185 Million Daily active users.
- Millennials (12-17-year-olds) account for 7 out of every 10 Snapchatters.
- 25% of Snapchat Daily Active Users post to their Story daily.
- 60% of current Snapchat users are under 25 years.
- Average time spent per user each day on Snapchat is about 28 minutes.
- Snapchat users interact with Snap ads for over 30 seconds on the average.
- 80% of Snapchat users use the app at a restaurant, 66% use it while shopping.
- 50% of Snapchat users use the app at gyms, while 49% use it at airports.
- 45% of 18-34-year-olds prefer “Snapchat Stories”.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website. Registered members submit content to the site such as links, text posts, and images, which are then voted up or down by other members.
Social media app statistics: Reddit
- Reddit has 250 million users, spread across 50,000 communities.
- Reddit has users in 217 countries across the world.
- 58% Of Reddit Users Are Between The Ages Of 18-29
- Reddit records 8 billion page views monthly.
- 40% Of Reddit visitors Reach the site through the Reddit app
- Average Reddit visit lasts over 13 minutes.
- There are 3.368 million redditors, as at February 2016.
- 5 million comments are left on Reddit daily.
- There are 40 million daily searches on Reddit.
- 82 Billion Pages are viewed on Reddit each year
Badoo is a dating-focused social network, founded in 2006, with headquarters in Soho, London. It operates in 190 countries and is available in 47 different languages, making it the world’s most widely used dating network to date.
Social media app statistics: Badoo
- Badoo is used in 47 languages across 190 countries.
- 400,000 new users sign up on Badoo daily.
- Badoo has over 200 million users in total.
- There are 60 million monthly active users on Badoo.
- Badoo attracts majorly young adults (25-35 years old) worldwide.
- More than 560 million Badoo profiles are viewed on a daily basis .
- Around 10 million daily matches are done on Badoo daily.
- Badoo users sent roughly 350 million message to each other daily.
- Brazil is the country with highest number of users on Badoo
- Most women on Badoo are from Norway, Iceland and Bosnia, while most men are from Macedonia, Albania and Moldova.
YouTube is an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California. It was created by three former PayPal employees—Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim—in February 2005.
Social media app statistics: YouTube
- YouTube recently reached 1.5 billion monthly active users.
- YouTube viewers spend more than an hour a day watching videos on mobile devices.
- 25-44 age group watch the most Youtube videos.
- YouTube viewers are 62% male while female are 38%.
- Over 500 hours of videos are uploaded on YouTube every minute.
- People and Blogs YouTube category gets the most (41%) of all uploaded videos.
- 1 Billion hours of YouTube videos are watched daily.
- 40% of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
- Music is the most searched term on YouTube, in year 2017.
- 9 of the top 10 historical most viewed YouTube posts are music videos.